Wednesday, July 30, 2008

End of an Era




It is sad really. After the comments delivered by Manny Ramirez before tonight's game, I find it a certainty that he will be dealt before tommorow's trade deadline.


The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me. During my years here, I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them. "The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy. I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price, and I don't have peace here."


It became clear to me since the famous shoving of Jack McCormick, that Manny has wanted out of Boston. His lack of hustle, fight with Kevin Youkillis, and abomination in catching a fly ball in Anaheim were the steps leading to his parting of his ways.


I am extremely grateful for everything Manny accomplished in his time here in Boston. I am grateful for his two world series rings and his world series MVP. He was exciting to watch for the past 8 years, there is no doubt about that. I was a huge Manny fan all along, often times claiming "In Manny I trust." This is a hard loss and is defintely sad.


But that fact of the matter is I root for the name on the front of the jersey. Ultimately I care about the Red Sox and would never have thought twice about Manny if he did not sign with the Sox back in 2001.


It is a new era for the Sox. I am happy to see Theo taking a proactive approach and actually getting something for Manny return as opposed to letting Manny go for free.


Hopefully this trade will jump start the dead-ass team known as the 2008 Boston Red Sox.


-Scottie

2 comments:

Walshie said...

Will the Sox get Jason Bay?

McKeon said...

since they have traded manny away for Jason bay, I will now say yes to your question walshie. It's about damn time...thanks manny but, good riddance.

Walshie, did you get to see that QB from Adrian, MI who is going to Michigan this fall?